Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Random Thoughts: Mga Pamahiin (Filipino Traditional Beliefs)

With Undas (All Souls Day) coming up, as a child, I remember Noli de Castro would have these scary tv shows and I loved watching them! 

Anyway, here's my random thoughts on Pamahiin that I have heard since I've been back in the Philippines, most of them relating to deaths/funeral and other scary situations). Note:  the explanations here are purely based on my assumptions)

1.  Bawal mag uwi ng pagkain galing sa burol (Don't take home any food from a wake).  Not even candy! I don't know why, because its the food of the dead?

2.  After attending a wake, don't go home directly.  Stopover somewhere else for a few minutes, i guess to shake off any spirits that might have followed you (mag pagpag?), and you don't bring them home directly.

3.  The casket has to enter the chapel first before anyone else... I dont know why, maybe respect?

4.  Never wear red to a funeral unless your a child.

5.  If the wake is at your house, cover up all mirrors.. You never know... Lol

6.  When driving and you seem to be going round and round through the same place (which happened to me by the way in Lucban, Quezon with GPS too! Scary!),  wear your shirt inside out and soon you'll find your way.

And that's pretty much all I can remember now!!



No comments:

Post a Comment